Learn to Freedive
Freediving is an Art of relaxation, stillness, single minded attention and sensory withdrawl. It is the ultimate way to experience the ocean and a sense of calm and oneness. The practical skills of breathing and swimming techniques are the perfect preperation for wildlife interactions, allowing the diver to extend their breathhold time underwater considerably, allowing deeper and more connected experiences with the ocean and its inhabitants. It is important to learn the correct techniques and procedures of breathing ,ocean awareness physiology and safety.
All Freedive courses with GetDown Freedivers cover
- the theory and physiology of freediving
- anatomy, stretching and breath hold techniques
- correct technique for freediving, being hydrodynamic and efficient in the water
- buddy diving, rescue and recovery
- equalisation and duck diving
What freediving gear will you use?
In the PADI Freediver course, you learn to use a mask, snorkel and fins, and may also use a wetsuit and weight belt. Using gear designed specifically for freediving is best, however, in this course, you may be able to use snorkeling equipment you already own. We have masks, snorkels, weight belts and fins available. if you have gear of your own you are comfortable with please bring it or we can supply you with our gear.
It is important to learn the correct techniques and procedures of breathing ,ocean awareness physiology and safety.
Scott is a certified AIDA and PADI Freediver Instructor with over 25 years of experience and would be happy to share his knowledge to develop and enhance your water skills. We will be offering these courses weekly at home in Byron Bay and the Gold Coast.
PADI Freediver Cost $550
Freediving is about inward power, discipline and control. If you’ve always wanted to enter the underwater world quietly, on your own terms, staying as long as your breath allows, then freediving is for you.To enrol in a PADI Freediver course you must be at least 15 years old. You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health. No prior experience with snorkeling, skin diving or freediving is required.
The PADI Freediver course consists of three main phases:
- Knowledge development about freediving principles through independent study with the PADIFreediver Touch™ App
- Confined water session to learn breathhold techniques as well as static and dynamic apnea. Goal – static apnea of 90 seconds and dynamic apnea of 25 metres/80 feet.
- Open water sessions to practice free immersion and constant weight freedives, plus proper buddy procedures. Goal – constant weight freedive of 10 metres/30 feet.
- Course length: 2 days
- Includes Freediving Equipment, 2 ocean dives
PADI Advanced Freediver Cost $550
Achieving a new freediving time or reaching a new depth is an incredible feeling. It satisfies that very personal desire to do your best and be proud of what you can accomplish. The PADI Advanced Freediver course is designed to fulfill that personal need to refine and improve your freediving skills, allowing you to progress slowly while learning how your body performs during apnea.
The PADI Advanced Freediver course consists of three main phases:
- Knowledge development about advanced freediving techniques and equipment. You’ll study independently using the PADI Freediver Touch™ (or your instructor may conduct class sessions if not available in a language you understand).
- Confined water session to learn stretching and relaxation techniques as well as refine static and dynamic apnea. Goal – static apnea of 2 minutes, 30 seconds (2 minutes for freedivers younger than 18) and dynamic apnea of 50 metres/165 feet (40 metres/130 feet for freedivers younger than 18)
- Open water sessions to practice deeper free immersion and constant weight freedives, along with additional buddy procedures and rescue techniques. Goal – constant weight freedive of 20 meters/65 feet (15 metres/50 feet for freedivers younger than 18)
AIDA 2 Star Freediver - Open Water freediver Cost$550
This is probably the most challenging and rewarding AIDA course. For those who are already confident in the open water this course is your starting point. The course builds a foundation of good technique and safety so that you can buddy with other AIDA 2 star freedivers.
- This course consists of two theory sessions, a pool session and three open water dives.
- To successfully complete the AIDA 2 star freediver course you will have to perform a 2 minute breathold, swim 40 m underwater with fins and dive to 16m in the open water.
- Course length: 2days
- Requirements: must be 18 years of age( 12 with parental consent) and be able to swim.
- Includes Freediving equipment, student kit, AIDA 2** certification
AIDA 3 Star Intermediate freediver Cost $650
Interested in going deeper and improving your technique? This course goes into the theory of Freediving in more depth which will allow you to understand the physiology and techniques behind diving deeper. The course will help you improve your Freediving performance whilst advancing your safety and rescue skills.This course consists of three theory sessions, two pool sessions and four open water dives.
To successfully complete the AIDA 3 star freediver course you will have to perform a 2 minute 45 second breathold, swim 55 m underwater with fins and dive to 24 meters in the open water.